On this page:
COVID Update May 2020
The Clinical Genetics department have currently cancelled all non-urgent face to face appointments in order to protect patients.
Some clinic appointments are now running via telephone and video but inevitably there will be increased waiting times.
COVID information for Patients
Many patients and families with rare disease and genetic disorders will understandably be confused and anxious about their level of risk from Covid19 and what precautions they should take.
In response to this, the British Society for Genetic Medicine and the Clinical Genetics Society have created a risk grid designed to help clinicians and families assess a patients’ risk. The grid is an amalgamation of covid19 risk advice from relevant specialties as well as BSGM covid-19 statement. We hope that you will find this will help you stay safe during these uncertain times.
The Clinical Genetics department organises a wide range of clinics at St George’s Hospital and throughout the South West Thames region.
Clinics are for anyone concerned about a known or suspected genetic condition in themselves or their family.
The department currently employs:
- 9 Genetic Consultants
- 9 Genetic Counsellors
- Several Trainee Doctors and Genetic Counsellors
We accept NHS GP referrals, as well as referrals from other specialists, from across the Southwest Thames region. We hold regular clinics at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, as well as monthly clinics in the following hospitals:
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
- Jarvis Breast Screening Centre
- Epsom Hospital
- Crawley Hospital
- Worthing Hospital
- Frimley Park Hospital
- St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey
- St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester
- Kingston Hospital
- Haywards Heath Hospital
We also run the following specialised clinics:
- Tuberous Sclerosis Specialist clinic
- Lymphoedema clinic
- Neurogenetics clinic
- Huntington’s Disease clinic
- Inherited Cardiac Disease clinic
- Endocrine genetics cancer clinic – in association with endocrinologists at St George’s Hospital
- Von Hippel Lindau screening clinic – in association with endocrinologists and ophthalmologists at St George’s Hospital
- Cancer genetics carrier clinics – for individuals who carry a high risk gene mutation at St George’s Hospital and Royal Surrey County Hospital (BRCA carrier clinic)
- Paediatric cancer clinic – at the Royal Marsden Hospital