We welcome volunteers to St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and to The Friends of Queen Mary’s Hospital Roehampton as a way of involving local people in the day-to-day running of our services and offering them the opportunity to contribute to patient care in ways which may not be available through the conventional NHS.
If you would like to volunteer your time and skills, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Below are some details about the services with which volunteers can become involved:
- Information Desks and Corridor staffing – directing and escorting patients and their visitors around the site
- Patient Survey Volunteers – promoting patient and public involvement (PPI) within the Trust and listening closely to what our users say in order to promote and improve services
- Basic clerical and admin tasks – routine, but still important
- Trolley services – library for the wards, tea for the clinics
- Musicians, actors, magicians and other performers & artists – For the bedside & public spaces
However volunteers are not here to replace salaried staff – volunteers complement our services, they do not supplant them.
To be a volunteer, you need to be over 18 years of age, living within the local area and be available for a minimum of three hours a week, for six months – mainly office hours, Monday – Friday.
We do provide assistance with local travel expenses and meal vouchers are supplied within certain criteria for our volunteers.
- You will meet other interesting people of all ages and backgrounds and make new friends
- You will be part of a team and learn new skills
- It can help improve your job-seeking opportunities, while you do something worthwhile and useful
- It can contribute to your personal development
- And you will also know that you are making an important contribution to your local community
Visit the National Association for Voluntary and Community Action and the Volunteering England websites for further general information on how to get involved in lots of different areas, including healthcare.