Managing your Shoulder Pain
On this page:
The shoulder is the most mobile joint in the body and so can commonly be affected by a number of painful conditions. These conditions are usually not serious, and can often improve in a relatively short time with simple management techniques.
The getUbetter app is a really useful tool, designed to help you manage your shoulder pain, and guide your recovery day-by-day. It offers you a symptom checker, management advice as well as video exercises. It also advises you when you may need to seek further help, and connects you to your local health service.
Below you will also find a list of resources to help you manage your symptoms at home. You will notice that some of these are related to a specific condition such as following a fracture, or following “Frozen Shoulder”, but others are more general, and are safe to start at home unless otherwise indicated by a healthcare professional:
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy: Shoulder Pain Management
- Managing your Shoulder Pain Booklet
- St George’s Shoulder unit website (broad list of shoulder conditions and surgeries, with relevant information and advice)
- St George’s Virtual Rotator Cuff related Pain Rehab Class
- St Georges Hospital: Proximal humerus fracture information leaflet
- St Georges Hospital: Adhesive Capsulitis (frozen shoulder) information leaflet: