Community neuro rehabilitation therapy
On this page:
The Wandsworth Community Neuro Team (WCNT) is based at St John’s Therapy Centre in Battersea. It is a specialist inter-disciplinary therapy team offering neurological rehabilitation and disability management to people with an acquired neurological condition.
The WCNT comprise of Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Clinical Neuro Psychology, Dietitian, Complex Case Manager, Rehabilitation and Psychology Assistants.
Neurological Rehabilitation includes: Assessment, Goal planning, Intervention can be uni or multidisciplinary.
Packages are usually of 4-12 weeks duration. Intensity varies from 1-3 sessions per week per discipline depending on individual needs and goals.
Long Term Disability Management (including vocational rehabilitation) packages vary depending on need. Intensity can vary from one session a week to once a month per discipline
Early Supported Discharge (stroke only) is an intensive (daily) rehabilitation service for stroke patients, with the primary aim of facilitating patients back into their own home from the acute hospital, and maximising independence as quickly as possible. Packages are usually of 4-6 week duration. Patients are referred directly from the stroke Unit in the hospital and seen by a member of the Team before they are discharged to discuss their individual goals and rehabilitation needs. They may also be supported by a care package if needed.
What we offer:
- Assessment (physical, emotional, cognitive, psychological, functional, communication, swallowing etc)
- Advice, information and education
- Rehabilitation (exercises, splinting, functional practice, communication, swallowing, cognitive therapy vocational, etc)
- Self management and group programmes (e.g. adjustment to stroke, fatigue management)
- Emotional and psychological support
- Health promotion (smoking cessation, sensible drinking, weight management, physical activity etc)
- The Service Provider shall ensure that health promotion materials/leaflets are visibly located in patient waiting areas for easy access for patients and family members.
Smoking cessation advice would include referral to local smoking cessation services.
- Referral to other professionals and services (e.g. wheelchair service, social services, orthotics, spasticity management service, gait laboratory, hospice, safeguarding vulnerable adults etc)
- Provision of equipment and adaptations (WICES)
- Reports for consultants, social services, continuing care panel etc
- Training carers
- Supporting carers
- Co-ordinating disability management packages
- Creating management booklets, instruction sheets etc
020 8812 4060
Fax: 020 8812 4059
- Rachel Sibson – Clinical Team Leader
Referrals from including health professionals, social workers, patients, carers or family members
Anyone over the age of 16, has a neurological condition, is registered with a Wandsworth GP, and requires neurological rehabilitation or disability management.
There are hundreds of neurological conditions, however the most common conditions referred include Stroke (CVA), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s Disease (PD), Motor Neurone Disease (MND), brain injury (TBI) and spinal injury (SI).
Click below to download a referral form: