Community neuro rehabilitation therapy
On this page:
Wandsworth Community Neuro Team (WCNT) is based at St John’s Therapy Centre in Battersea. It is a specialist inter-disciplinary therapy team offering neurological rehabilitation and disability management to people with an acquired neurological condition.
The WCNT comprises of Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Clinical Neuro Psychology, Dietitian, Therapy Technical Instructors and Psychology Assistants.
Needs based neurological rehabilitation including Assessment, Goal planning and Intervention. This can be either uni or multidisciplinary.
Packages are usually of 4-12 weeks duration. Intensity varies from 1-3 sessions per week per discipline depending on individual needs and goals.
Long Term Disability Management (including Vocational Rehabilitation) packages vary depending on need. Intensity can vary from one session a week to once a month per discipline.
Early Supported Discharge (stroke only) is an intensive (daily) rehabilitation service for stroke patients, with the primary aim of supporting patients back into their own home from the acute hospital, and maximising independence as quickly as possible. Packages are usually of 4–6-week duration. Patients are referred directly from the Stroke Unit in the hospital and seen by a member of the Team before they are discharged to discuss their individual goals and rehabilitation needs. They may also be supported by a care package if needed.
What we offer:
- Assessment (physical, emotional, cognitive, psychological, functional, communication, swallowing etc)
- Advice, information and education
- Rehabilitation (exercises, splinting, functional practice, communication, swallowing, cognitive therapy, vocational, etc)
- Self-management and group programmes (e.g. adjustment, fatigue management)
- Emotional and psychological support
- Health promotion and secondary prevention (smoking cessation, sensible drinking, weight management, physical activity etc)
- Referral to other professionals and services (e.g. wheelchair service, social services, orthotics, spasticity management service, gait laboratory, hospice, safeguarding vulnerable adults etc)
- Provision of equipment and adaptations (WICES)
- Reports for consultants, social services, continuing care panel etc
- Training carers
- Supporting carers
- Co-ordinating disability management packages
- Creating management booklets, instruction sheets etc
Telephone: 020 8725 8050
Address: St John’s Therapy Centre, 162 St John’s Hill, Battersea, SW11 1SW.
- Rachel Sibson – Clinical and Operational Lead
Referrals can come from any health professional, and if the individual is already known to the service. Patients, carers or family members can self-refer back if there is a need the service can meet.
Criteria: Anyone over the age of 16, has a neurological condition, lives in Wandsworth and/or is registered with a Wandsworth GP, and requires neurological rehabilitation or disability management.
There are hundreds of neurological conditions, however the most common conditions referred include Stroke (CVA), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s Disease (PD), Motor Neurone Disease (MND), brain injury (TBI) and spinal injury (SI).