Paediatric diabetes and endocrinology
On this page:
St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust treats children and adolescents for growth, endocrine and diabetes problems. The endocrine service sees both local (primary and secondary referral) and regional patients (tertiary referral) either at St George’s or at peripheral outreach clinics. The paediatric diabetes service covers Wandsworth and Merton Borough and it is funded by the Paediatric Diabetes Best Practice Tariff.
What we offer:
- 6 general paediatric endocrine clinics per week, in Dragon Children’s Centre, including a monthly transition to adult clinic and a monthly nurse led endocrine transition education clinic. We have also set up virtual/telephone clinic to facilitate the families.
- Jointly with colleague from other specialties, we also run clinics for children with genetics problems, osteoporosis, gastrointestinal disorders, blood disorders and familial lipid problems.
- Endocrine service for children with cancer is also provided as part of the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust to inpatients in St George’s and as outpatient at the Royal Marsden Hospital
- The Paediatric Endocrine service provides a network of 4 outreach clinics supporting the DGHs in The South West Thames Region (Surrey Sussex Healthcare NHS Hospital, Royal County Surrey NHS Foundation Hospital, Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Epsom and St Helier’s University Hospitals NHS Trust).
- The service also offers support to Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Croydon University Hospital.
- 2 full paediatric diabetes MDT (nursing, dietetic, psychological and medical staff) clinics per week in the Dragon Children’s Centre, bimonthly transition to adult clinic in the Thomas Addison Unit
- We provide support for pump therapy and CGMS, as well as multiple daily injections (MDI). In addition, the service offers nurse dietician led diabetes education clinic, insulin pump clinics and master classes, new patient training days, diabetes education seminars for schools as well as special session for ethnic minority groups.
Twenty-four-hour advice for in/out-patients with diabetes and endocrine disorders.
For appointment queries:
Diabetes Secretary: 020 8725 4803
Endocrine Secretary: Tel: 020 8725 2290 Fax: 020 8725 3741 childrens.secretariesC@stgeorges.nhs.uk
For urgent endocrine advice contact the Consultant on call via hospital switchboard. Patients under the care of the Paediatric diabetes service can get advice 24/7 through the diabetes mobile 0780 2262633
Paediatric Endocrinology is mainly an out-patient based service, but we also have access to the Paediatric Day unit facilities where we offer dynamic tests for investigation and nurse led treatments administration.
We offer support to the Neonatal, General Paediatric and other Paediatric Sup speciality inpatients needs and we accept acute/ emergency referrals according to clinical needs
The pathologies that we see comprise:
-Growth and puberty disorders, including concerns about menses
-Abnormal thyroid function, thyroid nodules or goitre
-Bone metabolism abnormalities and suspected osteoporosis
-Galactorrhea and Gynaecomastia
-Polyuria and polydipsia
-Glucose metabolism disorders
-Abnormal appearance of external genitalia in boys and girls (suspected disorder of sexual development)
-Severe obesity (BMI > 91st centile), family history of dyslipidaemia, features of insulin resistance (e.g. acanthosis nigricans), PCOS, Cushing’s phenotype, child who is obese and short, suspected endocrine pathology
- Dr Assunta Albanese – Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist- Clinical lead for Paediatric Endocrinology
Specialty interest: Growth, Puberty & Thyroid disorders, Over/Undergrowth syndromes, Adrenal disorders, Endocrine late effects
- Dr Elena Monti– Consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist and Diabetologist-Clinical Lead for Paediatric Diabetes
Specialty interest: General Paediatric Endocrinology, Osteoporosis/Calcium disorders, Disorder of sexual development
- Dr Alan Rice – Locum consultant Paediatric Endocrinologist and Diabetologist
- Ms Beatriz Hernandez Iglesias Paediatric Endocrine Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Ms Abigail Lockwood Paediatric Endocrine Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Ms Sarah Foulger Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Ms Kirsty Dring Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Ms Claire Wyatt Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Mr Shawn Davies Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Ms Fiona Rutherford Paediatric Diabetes Dietitian
- Ms Meghan Shakesheff Paediatric Diabetes Clinical Psychologist
- Adam Harrison Paediatric Endocrine Consultants Secretary:
- Tasneem Riaz-Teeluck Diabetes team coordinator
The endocrine and diabetic teams take direct same day referrals from GPs for urgent cases. Written referrals can be directed to the Paediatric Endocrine/Diabetes secretary or through the e-Referrals Service.
Dr Assunta Albanese – Consultant paediatric endocrinologist Monday am, Friday am and Friday pm Paediatric Endogenetic clinic with Prof Kate Tatton-Brown (Consultant in Clinical genetics)-4th Thursday pm of the month.
Dr Elena Monti– Consultant paediatric endocrinologist and diabetologist Tuesday pm, Thursday am Thursday pm, Friday am Friday pm Paediatric diabetes – Wednesday am Paediatric Osteoporosis clinic with Dr Kate Moss (Adult Rheumatology Consultant)
Dr Christina Wei – Consultant paediatric endocrinologist and diabetologist Paediatric endocrinology – Monday am and Monday pm Paediatric diabetes – Wednesday pm Transition and young adult joint endocrinology clinic with Dr Gul Bano (Adult endocrinology Consultant)-3rd Friday pm of the month. Endocrine hematology clinic with Dr Alison Thomas (Paediatric Haematology Consultant) Gastro growth clinic with Dr Nkem Onyeador (Paediatric Gastroenterology Consultant) Paediatric lipid clinic with Dr Mahtab Sharifi (Adult Endocrinology Consultant).