We recognise that research is key to improving quality of care and the patient experience, which is why the trust remains committed to research and innovation.
We have committed to building on our strong history as a teaching institute and our partnership with St George’s, University of London (SGUL) . This will allow us to deliver excellence in education and allow us to work more collaboratively on upcoming projects.
Having a major research focus
As a major teaching trust, many of our staff are actively involved in undertaking clinical research studies to enhance their knowledge and improve our clinical services. There are numerous joint appointments with St George’s, University of London (SGUL) and the Joint Faculty of Health and Social Care Sciences with Kingston University.
A new five-year strategy for St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has been agreed after development with our staff and partners. As well as refining our mission, vision and values , strategic goals were set across a number of areas, including in research.
The trust has a goal to drive research and innovation through our clinical services, achieved by strengthening our approach to research programmes. Specifically, we will:
- Develop a culture that places research at the core
- Maximise the benefits of our partnership with St George’s, University of London
- Partner with an Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC) at the heart of a vibrant South London Academic Health Science Network (AHSN)
- Increase the success of research funding from grant-giving bodies
- Become a preferred partner with industry for pharmaceutical research and medical innovation
- Develop a robust infrastructure to support research
By sticking to these principles towards research in the longer term, this will allow us as a healthcare organisation to provide higher quality clinical care and recruit, motivate and retain the best staff.