At the end of 2012 St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust launched a new 10 year strategy for the trust following nearly a year of development with our staff and partners. We have developed this strategy to ensure that we deliver:
- Better health outcomes for all
- Improved patient access and experience
- Empowered, engaged and well-supported staff
- Inclusive leadership at all levels
The 10 year strategy sets out a compelling vision for the future, built around delivering healthcare of exceptional quality underpinned by leading edge research and teaching.
The success of this strategy will be determined by the strength of our partnerships with our colleagues in the healthcare, social services and the voluntary and charity sectors.
In our strategy we have revised our mission (our purpose) and vision (what we want to be), and outlined our high-level plans for what we need to do to ensure that this vision is realised.
Our mission is to provide excellent clinical care, education and research to improve the health of the populations we serve.
Our vision is to become an excellent integrated care provider and a comprehensive specialist centre for south west London, Surrey and beyond with thriving programmes of education and research.
- Redesign care pathways to keep more people out of hospital
We will play a key role in keeping people healthy and well at home by working with our partners in primary and social care and the charity and voluntary sector. This ranges from keeping people healthy for as long as possible to enabling those with a health condition to live as independently as possible.
- Redesign and reconfigure our local hospital services to provide higher quality care
We need to improve the way in which we provide our local hospital services from planned surgery through to discharge planning. We will work with other NHS trusts in south west London to ensure the highest quality, sustainable configuration of clinical services.
- Consolidate and expand our key specialist services
We will work to ensure that south west London continues to have access to a comprehensive range of specialist services available locally at St George’s Hospital.
- Provide excellent and innovative education to improve patient safety, experience and outcomes
We will build on our strong history as a teaching institute and our partnerships with St George’s, University of London and Kingston University to provide excellent education.
- Drive research and innovation through our clinical services
We will strengthen our approach to research programmes, making research a part of the trust’s core business.
- Improve productivity, the environment and systems to enable excellent care
There are some changes that we need to make to our systems and processes, such as an investment in our IT system, to ensure we are able to continue to provide the highest quality care. We will also look to make major improvements to our buildings and facilities.
- Develop a highly skilled and motivated workforce championing our values
Services cannot be delivered without our staff and we will continue to invest in our staff to ensure that they have the right skills, and are engaged and motivated to provide consistently excellent services.