Our Group strategy 2023-2028: Outstanding Care, Together
In May 2023 we launched our new five-year strategy for St George’s, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals and Health Group.
It is designed to give everyone connected to the Group clarity about our ambitions for the future, and what we want to achieve.
What do we want our role to be in 2028?
Working as a group gives us the opportunity to think about the role we’ll play in our local communities and across the wider NHS.
We want to provide local services for the people of Surrey Downs, Sutton, Merton and Wandsworth, and be a major tertiary centre for south west London – particularly known for our specialist major trauma, renal, neuroscience, paediatric and cancer services.
As university hospitals, we’ll focus on research and education, working closely with St George’s, University of London.
While our Trusts will have distinct identities, we’ll work as one family to maximise the benefits of being a group, and work with partners to join up care around patients’ needs.
We will act as anchor institutions – this means we’ll have a positive impact on our local communities beyond healthcare.
What do we want to achieve?
Our vision for 2028 is to provide outstanding care, together.
With the help of our patients, staff and partners, we have chosen four overall aims for 2028 – our CARE objectives. These are the things we care about the most and will be central to achieving our vision.
- Collaboration and partnership
- Affordable services, fit for the future
- Right care, right place, right time
- Empowered, engaged staff
In all this, everything we do will be driven by our patients.
How will we get there?
The answer is – together. 17,000 people work at St George’s and Epsom and St Helier, and every one of us will have a part to play in making our vision a reality.
We will deliver our vision through:
- Local improvement: continuous improvement, pursued by teams of staff at every level in our organisations, from Board to ward, against a common framework of annual improvement priorities.
- Corporate enablers: action led by individual corporate departments, working with clinical teams, to deliver against a range of corporate strategies: quality and safety, people, IT, estates, research and innovation, our green plans.
- Strategic initiatives: nine large, complex, long-term, Board-led, transformational programmes of work:
- The Building Your Future Hospitals programme
- Supporting a continuous improvement approach throughout organisations, through high-performing teams and leaders
- Implementing a shared system for electronic patient records across our Group
- Transforming our outpatient services
- Collaborating with other hospitals across South West London
- Transforming our culture, and making our workplaces more diverse and inclusive
- Pursuing collaboration across our GESH Group
- Collaborating with local partners in Surrey Downs, Sutton, Merton and Wandsworth
- Strengthening our specialised services
You can read more detail about our CARE objectives in our strategy summary document or in the full strategy. We have also produced a short animation explaining the key points of our strategy, which you can view here.
You can contact our strategy team if you have any queries: firstname.lastname@example.org