The Joint Research and Enterprise Office (JREO) supports a series of workshops, training sessions and events for researchers. We are currently updating our training program and more information will follow in 2018.
Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training
The JREO supports the recent Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)-Health Research Authority’s (HRA) pragmatic guidance on the requirement of GCP training.
Researchers involved in certain types of projects (drug, device and or high risk trials) must have attended Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training, according to Medicines for Human Use (Clinical Trial) regulations, the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research and ICH-GCP guidance. Researchers should aim to update this training every 3 years.
For all other types of studies, GCP is suggested as good practice and continued professional development, but is not mandatory
Within the South London region, GCP courses are delivered by a team of GCP facilitators from a wide range of organisations supported by the regional NIHR Clinical Research Network . The following NIHR GCP courses are available:
- Introduction to GCP training (classroom-based course, whole day) designed for individuals who are new to clinical research, or who have no previous experience of delivery of clinical research in the NHS.
- GCP Refresher training (classroom-based course) designed for experienced research delivery staff who have previously completed an Introduction course and have recent practical experience of working in a clinical research environment and have a good understanding GCP and related frameworks.
- GCP e-learning
Courses are available in specific fields:
- Introduction to GCP in Primary Care
- Introduction to GCP in Secondary Care
- Introduction to GCP in a Paediatric Setting
- Introduction to GCP with Adults Lacking Capacity
- Introduction to GCP for IMP Management (Pharmacy)
- Introduction to GCP in General Dental Practice
The local NIHR CRN website has details of all upcoming GCP classroom-based dates and locations across the region.
The NIHR training meets the Minimum Criteria for ICH GCP Investigator Site Personnel Training identified byTransCelerate BioPharma as necessary to enable mutual recognition of GCP training among trial sponsors.
This training has been certified by The CPD Certification Service.
4 CPD points are applicable to the e-learning course, and 6 points are applicable to the face to face workshop.