Neurosciences Research Foundation
The Neurosciences Research Foundation funds vital research into the cause of damage to the brain and nervous system at St George’s Hospital and St George’s University of London with the goal of developing new and more effective treatments.
Our work has benefited many people who otherwise would have had little or no hope of survival and recovery, both at St George’s and across the country.
Whether it is in making breakthrough discoveries today or training the clinical researchers of tomorrow our goal is making people well again.
We are dedicated to making breakthrough discoveries with disease and injuries to the nervous system. We do not finance the obscure backwaters of academic research, everything we do is totally geared towards putting patients at the heart of everything we do.
The money we raise goes to these needy areas
- Research, testing and developing new techniques and equipment to help with diagnosis and treatment
- Ensuring the advances reach the patients
- Supporting clinical research fellows and scientists
We are continually seeking to ensure that the advances we fund reach the patients in need.
Real benefits for disabling conditions
Our work with magnetic resonance spectroscopy helps people with brain tumours.
Our work with interferons helps people with muliple sclerosis.
A protein called aquaporin-4 is found in the brain in cells called astrocytes. Recent water channel protein (aquaporin) discoveries:
- Aquaporin-4 worsens brain swelling in stroke and meningitis
- Aquaporin-1 allows brain tumours to spread
We are trying to discover drugs that block aquaporin-4 to treat brain swelling and drugs that block aquaporin-1 to treat brain tumours.
Advances in treatment resulting from research funded by the Neurosciences Research Foundation include:
- Chemical imaging to optimise therapy for brain tumours
- Neurography of carpal tunnel syndrome
- Calcitonin gene related peptide to reduce vasospasm after subarachnoid haemorrhage
- Improved diagnosis of genetic types of stroke
- Assessment of immunomodulatory threrapy of multiple sclerosis
How you can help
Your donation will help us to develop new life enhancing treatments for patients at St George’s. Visit the Neurosciences Research Foundation website for more details.