Therapy-Led Neuromuscular Clinics
On this page:
Therapy-led clinics at St George’s are run by Sherryl Chatfield (Clinical Specialist Neuromuscular Physiotherapist) and Pamela Appleton (Neuromuscular Care Advisor and Occupational Therapist). Specialist clinics are run for adults with a confirmed diagnosis of:
- Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD)
- Charcot Marie Tooth Disease (CMT)
The therapy-led clinics at St George’s Hospital, London are run monthly with the aim of optimising holistic management of care. We have links with a number of specialities within the hospital and community, including orthotics, orthopaedics and community therapy teams. We have close links with charities and support groups and signpost to these as needed, as well as relevant patient registries. In clinic we address and consider a number of factors, including the following:
- Physical factors such as walking assessment, orthotics review, hand and arm function, activities of daily living (for example feeding), pain and fatigue management.
- Environmental factors such as falls risk, accessibility of the home, adjustments at work and use of public transport.
- Psychosocial factors such as peer support, transition from paediatrics to adult services, adjustment and acceptance.
Tel: 020 8725 3291
Sherryl Chatfield (Clinical Specialist Neuromuscular Physiotherapist)
Pamela Appleton (Neuromuscular Care Advisor and Occupational Therapist)
Sabrina Scarpone Dugasse (Neuromuscular Coordinator)
Referrals to the therapy-led clinics must be made in writing a consultant neurologist.