On this page:


Everyone, with the right qualifications and skills, should have the same employment opportunities. With support from schemes such as Access to Work and the Equality Act 2010 legislation, employers now have the responsibility – as equal opportunities employers – to fulfil accessibility requirements for all their staff.

Work | Muscular Dystrophy UK

Access to Work can help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability. The support you get will depend on your needs. Through Access to Work, you can apply for:

  • a grant to help pay for practical support with your work
  • support with managing your mental health at work
  • money to pay for communication support at job interviews



Benefits advice

It’s important to make sure that you get all the help that you’re entitled to. Citizens Advice can provide you with support and information on all financial benefits and tax credits if you are working, unemployed, disabled. There is also information and council tax and housing cost, national insurance. Benefits – Citizens Advice

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is financial support for people aged 16 to your state pension age. It has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults. Muscular Dystrophy UK has developed a comprehensive guide that helps to explain eligibility, how it is calculated and awarded and how to apply.  Personal-Independence-Payment-guide.pdf (musculardystrophyuk.org)

The gov.uk website has information about the type of financial support you may be eligible for:

Benefits and financial support if you’re disabled or have a health condition – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

We recommend speaking to Muscular Dystrophy UK for further advice and support with benefits. Contact their Helpline on 0800 652 6352 or email info@musculardystrophyuk.org