Dr Debasish Banerjee
Consultant Nephrologist, Reader
MD FASN FHEA FRCP
Secretary email: email@example.com
Secretary telephone: 020 8725 1673
Debasish Banerjee is a consultant nephrologist with special interest in cardiovascular complications of chronic kidney disease including heart failure, sudden cardiac death and cardiac workup before kidney transplantation in chronic kidney disease patients; glomerulonephritis, kidney stone disease and diabetic nephropathy.
He serves as the Clinical Subdean for St Georges Hospital and Higher Education Academic Director for St Georges, University of London.
His research interest is cardiac and vascular changes in chronic kidney disease with impact of vitamin D and kidney transplantation. He has received several research grants from British Heart Foundation, National Institute of Healthcare Research, British Renal Society, Guys & St. Thomas’ Charity and St. Georges’ Charity.
He is the centre director for the International Society of Nephrology Renal Sister Centre program fostering collaboration in research and education.
- Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search ScholarshipIndia - 1985
- Winner: Distinguished Teacher AwardUCLH Medical SchoolLondon - 1998
- Winner: Young Investigator AwardSouthern Society of Clinical InvestigationUSA - 2003
- Winner: Inpatient Student Teaching Award, University of MiamiUSA - 2003
- Winner: Travel Fellowship Award, Consortium for South Eastern Hypertension ControlUSA - 2003
- Fellow: Royal College of Physicians - 2006
- Winner: Excellent in Teaching Award, St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 2010
- Winner: Best Undergraduate Medicine Teacher, St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 2011
- Has also received various research grants from 2004 to 2010 most recently examining the impact of vitamin D on cardiac hypertrophy and function
University of Calcutta - MBBS 1992
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education, Chandigarh - MD 1995
University of Miami - Fellowship in Nephrology and Hypertension 2003
London Deanery - CCST in Nephrology 2004
Fellow of Royal College of Physicians
Fellow of American Society of Nephrology
Fellow of Higher Education Academy
Member of International Society of Nephrology Action for Clinical Trials
Member of Cardiovascular Clinical Research Group Kidney Research UK
Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search Scholarship India - 1985
Distinguished Teacher Award, University College London Medical School - 1998
Young Investigator Award, Southern Society of Clinical Investigation USA - 2003
Inpatient Student Teaching Award, University of Miami - 2003
Excellence in Teaching Award, St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 2010-17
Best Undergraduate Medicine Teacher, St George's University of London - 2011
Overall Contribution to Education, St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 2016
British Heart Foundation Program Grant, Impact of Vitamin D on cardiac structure and function, Principal Applicant
Guys’ and St Thomas’ Charity Program Grant, Impact of Vitamin D on cardiac structure and function Co Applicant
St George’s Charity, Impact of Vitamin D on atherosclerosis and endothelial function in CKD, Principal Applicant
National Institute of Healthcare Research (RfPB), Increasing acceptability and rates of organ donation among ethnic groups Co Applicant
British Renal Society, Role of iNUT in inpatients with CKD, Co Applicant
Vifor Pharma, Impact of intravenous iron on endothelial function and atherosclerosis, Principal Applicant
- Yadav AK, Kumar V, Kumar V, Banerjee D, Gupta KL, Jha V. The Effect of Vitamin D Supplementation on Bone Metabolic Markers in Chronic Kidney Disease. Bone Miner Res. 2017 Oct 17. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3314.
- Jenkins R, Mandarano, L, Gugathas S, Kaski JC, Anderson L, Banerjee D. Impaired renal function affects clinical outcomes and management of patients with heart failure ESC Heart Fail. 2017 4: 576-584
- Kumar V, Yadav AK, Lal A, Kumar V, Singhal M, Billot L, Gupta KL Banerjee D, Jha V. A randomized Trial of Vitamin D Supplementation on Vascular Function in CKD J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Oct;28(10):3100-3108.
- Banerjee D, Jenkins R. Hemodialysis Vascular Access: The Perils and Potentials. Indian J Nephrol. 2017 May-Jun;27(3):175-176.
- Banerjee D. Sudden cardiac death in haemodialysis: clinical epidemiology and mechanisms. J Electrocardiol. 2016 Nov - Dec;49(6):843-847
- Nasir J, Goldie J, Little A, Banerjee D, Reeves S. Case-based interprofessional learning for undergraduate healthcare professionals in the clinical setting. J Interprof Care. 2017 Jan;31(1):125-128.
- Long-term Graft and Patient Survival after Balloon Dilation of Ureteric Stenosis after Renal Transplant: A 23-year Retrospective Matched Cohort Study. Kumar S, Jeon JH, Hakim A, Shrivastava S, Banerjee D, Patel U. Radiology. 2016 Oct;281(1):301-10.
- Poulikakos D, Marks V, Lelos N, Banerjee D. Low serum sodium is associated with protein energy wasting and increased interdialytic weight gain in haemodialysis patients. Clin Kidney J. 2014 Apr;7(2):156-60.
- Chitalia N, Ross L, Krishnamoorthy M, Kapustin A, Shanahan CM, Kaski JC, Roy-Chaudhury P, Chemla E, Banerjee D. Neointimal Hyperplasia and Calcification in Medium Sized Arteries in Adult Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Semin Dial 2014. E35-40
- Zal B, Chitalia N, Ng YS, Trieu V, Javed S, Warrington R, Kaski JC, Banerjee D, Baboonian C. Killer Cell Immunoglobulin Receptor profile on CD4(+) CD28(-) T cells and their pathogenic role in nondialysis and dialysis dependent chronic kidney disease patients. Immunology. 2015 May;145(1):105-13. doi: 10.1111/imm.12429.
- Poulikakos D, Malik M, Banerjee Sex Dependent Association between Heart Rate Variability and Pulse Pressure in Haemodialysis Patients. Nephron Clin Pract 2014; 128: 361-6
- Chitalia N, Ismail T, Tooth L, Boa F, Hampson G, Goldsmith D, Kaski JC, Banerjee Impact of vitamin D supplementation on arterial vasomotion, stiffness and endothelial biomarkers in chronic kidney disease patients. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 19;9(3):e91363
- Poulikakos D, Banerjee D, Marek M. Repolarisation descriptors and Heart rate variability in hemodialysed patients. Physiol Res 2015;64(4):487-93. Epub 2014 Dec 3.
- Poulikakos D, Malik M, Banerjee Parathyroid Hormone and Heart Rate Variability in Haemodialysis Patients. Nephron Clin Pract. 2014;126(3):110-115
- Poulikakos D, Banerjee D, Malik M. Major Arrhythmic events and T wave morphology descriptors. J Electrocardiol 2014;47(2):240-3
- Poulikakos D, Banerjee D, Malik M. Risk of sudden cardiac death in Chronic Kidney Disease. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2014 Feb;25(2):222-31. doi: 10.1111/jce.12328.
- Poulikakos D, Ross L, Recio-Mayoral A, Cole D, Andoh J, Chitalia N, Sharma R, Kaski JC, Banerjee D. Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Endothelial Dysfunction in CKD Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2014; 15(1): 56-61
- Poulikakos D, Banerjee D, Malik M. T wave morphology changes during hemodialysis. J Electrocardiol 2013; 46(6); 492-96.
- Ross L, Banerjee D. Cardiovascular Complications of chronic kidney disease. Int J Clin Pract. 2013; 67(1): 4-5
- Yadav AK, Banerjee D, Lal A, Jha V. Vitamin D deficiency, CD4+CD28null cells and Accelerated Atherosclerosis in Chronic Kidney Disease. Nephrology 2012 17(6) 575-81
- Chitalia N, Recio-Mayoral A, Kaski JC, Banerjee D. Vitamin D deficiency and endothelial dysfunction in non dialysis chronic kidney disease patients. Atherosclerosis 2012; 220(1): 265-68
- Rocha SG, Chitalia N, Kaski JC, Sharma R, Banerjee D. Echocardiographic abnormalities in patients on Kidney Transplantation waitlist. J Nephrol 2012; 25(6):1119-25
- Arulkumaran N, Kumar N, Cecconi M, Banerjee D. Cardiopulmonary assessment of patients with end-stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012 27(7): 3000
- Arulkumaran N, Kumar N, Banerjee D. Cardiovascular assessment of patients with advanced kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012 27(8): 3370-1
- Poulikakos D, Theti D, Pau V, Banerjee D, Jones D. The impact of arteriovenous fistula creation in pulmonary hypertension: measurement of pulmonary pressures by right heart catheterisation in a patient with respiratory failure following arteriovenous fistula creation. Haemodial Int 2012; 16(4): 553-35
- Banerjee D, Recio-Mayoral A, Chitalia N, Kaski JC. Insulin Resistance, Inflammation, and Vascular Disease in Nondiabetic Predialysis Chronic Kidney Disease Patients. Clin Cardiol. 2011; 34(6): 360-5
- Recio-Mayoral A, Banerjee D, Streather C, Kaski JC. Endothelial dysfunction, inflammation and atherosclerosis in chronic kidney disease - a cross-sectional study of predialysis, dialysis and kidney-transplantation patients. 2011; 216(2):446-51
- Banerjee D, Chitalia N, Raja R, Bhandara T, Poulikakos D, Jha V. Metabolic syndrome in chronic kidney disease and transplant patients in North India. Int Urol Nephrol 2012 44(3):937-43
- Banerjee D, Collins A, Herzog C. Effect of Inflammation on relationship of pulse pressure and mortality on Haemodialysis. Nephron extra 2011, 1, 292-299 doi10.1159/000335691
- Rocha SG, Chitalia N, Kaski JC, Sharma R, Banerjee D. Echocardiographic abnormalities in patients on Kidney Transplantation waitlist. J Nephrol 2012; 25(6):1119-25 doi: 10.5301/jn.5000103.
- Eastwood JB, Kerry SM, Plange-Rhule J, Micah FB, Antwi S, Boa FG, Banerjee D, Cappuccio FP. Assessment of GFR by four methods in adults in Ashanti, Ghana: the need for an eGFR equation for lean African populations. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25(7):2178-87
- Arulkumaran N, Diwakar R, Tahir Z, Mohammed M, Kaski JC, Banerjee D. Pulse pressure and progression of chronic kidney disease. J Nephrol 2010, 23; 189-93
- Chitalia N, Raja RB, Bandara T, Aggrawal P, Kaski JC, Jha V, Banerjee D. Serum Adiponectin and Cardiovascular Risk in Chronic Kidney Disease and Kidney Transplantation. J Nephrol 2010; 23: 77 – 84