Rare Disease Genetics Service
On this page:
Clinical Genetics is a medical discipline specialising in the diagnosis and management of conditions with a known or probable genetic origin. Genetic disorders may affect multiple family members across multiple generations. Families often require both specialist diagnosis and health management.
We provide specialist, family-centred services for:
- Diagnostic assessment
- Current and accurate medical information
- Genetic counselling
- Risk estimation for pregnancies and the extended family
- Management and support to individual patients of any age
We work closely with our laboratory colleagues who are part of the South East Genomics Laboratory Hub (SEGLH) and clinical colleagues from a variety of medical specialties across South West London, Surrey and West Sussex.
Our clinical teams comprise of Consultant Geneticists, Specialist Registrar’s (SpRs), Genetic Counsellors, and Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS).
Who we see:
We provide genetic counselling across South West London, through a combination of virtual and face to face clinics, depending on clinical needs. This is provided by Consultant Clinical Geneticists and Genetic Counsellors.
We see patients for diagnostic, predictive (pre-symptomatic) and carrier testing. We offer preconception counselling, prenatal counselling and assessment for hereditary disorders and congenital defects affecting foetuses, newborns, children and adults. Assessing risk and/or identifying a genetic diagnosis can personalise management and therapy options and offer reproductive choices to individuals wishing to start a family.
We hold clinics at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, as well as at District Hospitals across South West London:
- Queen Mary’s Roehampton
- Crawley Hospital
- Epsom Hospital
- Frimley Park Hospital
- Jarvis Breast Screening Centre
- Kingston Hospital
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
- Helier Hospital
- St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey
- St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester
- Worthing Hospital
We also run a number of specialist clinics:
- Tuberous Sclerosis Specialist clinic
- Lymphoedema clinic
- Neurogenetics clinic
- Huntington’s Disease clinic
- Inherited Cardiac Disease clinic
- Endocrine genetics cancer clinic – in association with endocrinologists at St George’s Hospital
- Von Hippel Lindau screening clinic – in association with endocrinologists and ophthalmologists at St George’s Hospital
- Cancer genetics carrier clinics – for individuals who carry a high risk gene mutation at St George’s Hospital and Royal Surrey County Hospital (BRCA carrier clinic)
- Paediatric cancer clinic – at the Royal Marsden Hospital