On this page:

We offer a transition service for young adults moving from paediatric services (which are clinician-led) to adult services (which are patient-led).

We have a dedicated transition audiologist named Bukky Ogungbe, who can be contacted  via departmental email on audiologist.enquiries@stgeorges.nhs.uk.

We accept referrals from other paediatric services whose patients would like to transition to St George’s Hospital Adult Audiology Service. We accept referrals directly from paediatric audiology services and/or any professional working with a hearing impaired/Deaf/deaf young adult aged 16-25 years old, provided that their hearing aids are up to date and investigations into the cause of the hearing loss have been completed. The referral form can be found here.

We offer an initial introductory appointment in the adult clinic prior to discharge from the paediatric services. We also offer specialist clinics for adults with additional needs such as learning disabilities, mental health issues and syndromes where regular monitoring is required.

What is the purpose of transition?

We begin looking at patients to start the transition process from the paediatric service to the adult service at around the age of 16, aiming to have this completed by the age of 18. In the adult service, you’ll need to take a more active and responsible role in your hearing care and we want to make sure that you’re fully prepared and supported for that.

What are the differences in adult services?

In paediatric appointments, contact with the audiology department is clinician led.  We send you regular appointments to come and have your hearing and/or hearing aids checked.  In adult audiology which is patient-led, you have to contact the department when you want to have your hearing and/or hearing aids checked.  In paediatric services you are seen at least once a year, however in adult services you will usually be seen less frequently and usually you have to request these appointments.  You may be discharged if you miss an appointment in adult services so it is important that you let them know if you are not able to attend the clinic.  You will also usually have to pay for lost hearing aids in adult services.  You will still get batteries provided free of charge.

When will I be discharged from the paediatric service?

You will be discharged around the age of 18 at your final paediatric audiology appointment which will take place after you have had your first appointment in the adult service. This is the same if you have chosen to stay at St George’s or if you decide to transition to another hospital.

If you are moving to another hospital, we will ask your GP to refer you to that centre.  It is important that you take your transition passport with you as well as any clinic letters that you have saved.

What information do I need to know before I transition?

Our audiology service can provide you with information about entering higher education: college or university, an apprenticeship or employment as a young person with hearing loss. We can also discuss technology, communication tactics and communication support options which might be helpful to you. Please see the links below:

Sign health link – BSL health videos




NDCS Young people information


Royal Association for Deaf People


NDCS Higher Education resources


NDCS Apprenticeship resources


Deaf Unity info re employment and job seeking


The Buzz – website for deaf young people


NDCS support helpline for young people


It is also important that you are confident in caring for your hearing aid and know what to do if something goes wrong. The below resources provide you with clear instructions on how to clean your hearing aid, re-tube your earmould and also runs through helpful tips and tricks to solve common issues which can stop your hearing aid from working. Please revisit these videos as much as you’d like.

How to change your tubing:


Troubleshooting open fit hearing aids:


Troubleshooting earmould hearing aids:


Hearing aid care for open fit hearing aids:


Hearing aid care for earmould hearing aids:


PDF instructions: How To Care For Your Hearing Aid

Part of becoming an adult includes learning skills for self-advocacy. This means that you have the knowledge and understanding of yourself to be able to identify and ask for what you need. As a young person with hearing loss, you need to become familiar with your needs and what your hearing loss means to you. The below resources will help you learn about hearing loss and how to read your audiogram. If you do not have a copy of your audiogram, you can call or email us and we will send it to you. The National Deaf Children’s Society (NDCS) has put together a pack titled ‘My Life, My Health’ which you can also download below. The pack contains materials which will improve your access to healthcare services and give you the confidence to become more independent with your health needs.

PDF instructions: – How To Read Your Hearing Test Results

More information:

NDCS My Life, My Health – Independance Pack