Dr Carolyn Johnston
Telephone: 0208 725 3122
- Obstetric anaesthesia
- Regional anaesthesia
- Leadership and quality improvement particularly improving patient experience and patient safety
- Education, including Quality Improvement training for Foundation doctors in St Georges and anaesthetists through the London school of anaesthesia and Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Associate director of St George's QI Academy
- Improvement lead for National Emergency Laparotomy Audit
- Chair of Royal College of Anaesthetists QI working group
Qualifications: FRCA BM BCh MA (Oxon), PGCert Med Ed, PGCert H'care Mgmt
Carolyn trained in West Midlands and St George's schools of anaesthesia. She was a London Deanery Clinical Leadership ‘Darzi’ Fellow, leading range of improvement projects, and was an Improvement Faculty fellow of the NHS Institute of Innovation. She teaches regularly on local, regional and national courses. She is in the founding cohort of the Health Foundation/ NHS England Q community, connecting people skilled in improvement across the UK. She is the editor of the 4th edition of 'Raising the Standards, The RCoA QI compendium', and written the improvement chapter of Lee's synopsis of Anaesthesia, as well as a number of peer reviewed papers in quality improvement and emergency surgery care.
She is the clinical lead for St Georges' prehabilitation before surgery- Get Set 4 Surgery and lead for ACSA- Anaesthetic Clinical Services Accreditation- in St Georges.
She is also a trustee of Birthrights- a charity protecting human rights in childbirth.