Trust staff celebrate 70 years of the NHS
5 July 2018 – it was certainly a day to remember at the Trust!
A range of events and activities were organised as a way for our staff, patients and the local community to celebrate the 70th birthday of the NHS.
Here’s a roundup of what happened:
- Staff gathered at lunchtime and during early part of the afternoon to enjoy tea, and over 200 NHS 70 cupcakes!
- Staff also had the chance to participate in a bed-making race, a 2-minute bike ride challenge and an NHS quiz.
- We held our ‘Big7Tea’ party in the Atkinson Morley Wing Courtyard at St George’s
- Rosena Allin-Khan, MP for Tooting, was there to officially open the festivities
- Over 70 members of Trust staff took part in our Big Birthday Walk – a 6.2 mile staff walk from the site of the old St George’s at Hyde Park to our Tooting home
- First Touch kindly sponsored special ‘I am an NHS 70 baby’ baby grows for those babies born yesterday
- We also launched our NHS 70 film, where we worked alongside The Garden production team to create a short film celebrating St George’s
- 24 Hours in A&E staff made continuity announcements throughout the day on Channel 4, More 4, and Film 4
- Channel 4 also hosted a special pre-screening event at their central London studios for ED staff and St George’s Hospital Charity
- Throughout the day, we played host to live media broadcasts from St George’s on the BBC London and BBC News Channel.
Thank you to all the organisations, groups and charities that have supported our plans for the 70th birthday – we couldn’t have done it without you!
Mitie, Sodexo, St George’s Catering team, Healthcare and Transport Services, Community Health Partnerships, Bellrock, The Lanesborough Hotel, Alexandra Workwear, The Garden Productions, Peabodys Group, First Touch, St George’s Hospital Charity, The Friends of St George’s Hospital, NHS Retirement Fellowship – St George’s, Merton and Wandsworth Branch, SSP Group, St George’s Hospital Choir, Pram Chorus, The Great Gustos, Prescott Thomas Limited, and Brakes Catering.
You can also catch up by visiting our NHS 70 Twitter moment, which rounds up all of the events and activities that took place yesterday.