Toyah Willcox opens new children’s exhibition at St George’s Hospital
Television presenter and former pop star Toyah Willcox officially opened a new children’s art exhibition at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, on Friday, 19th October.
The exhibition, which is sponsored by Bedford Hill Gallery in Battersea, is a collection of paintings donated by children in Kathmandu, Nepal. The collection is part of the gallery’s Children’s Art for Children Project; an ongoing community art project designed to motivate children to become involved in community arts.
Toyah, who is the gallery’s patron, and guest of honour, His Excellency Dr Suresh C. Chalise, the Ambassador of Nepal, enjoyed a tour of the display and met with patients and members of staff on the paediatric wards.
Notes to editors
For more information, please contact the Communications Unit on 020 8725 5151 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Outside working hours, please page us by calling 0844 822 2888, leaving a short message and contact details for pager SG548.
About St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust
- St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest healthcare providers in the country. Its main site, St George’s Hospital in Tooting – one of the country’s principal teaching hospitals – is shared with St George’s, University of London, which trains medical students and carries out advanced medical research. As well as acute hospital services, the trust provides a wide variety of specialist and community hospital based care and a full range of community services to children, adults, older people and people with learning disabilities. These services are provided from Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton, 11 health centres and clinics, schools and nurseries, patients’ homes and Wandsworth Prison.
- St George’s Hospital, Tooting, is one of London’s four major trauma centres. In 2011/12 the emergency department at St George’s Hospital treated an average 447 patients each day, with 95.06 per cent of patients being admitted, transferred or discharged within four hours.
- St George’s Hospital is one of eight hyper acute stroke units in London. The trust’s stroke services were rated as the best in the country by the National Sentinel Audit 2010, and in the top four in 2011.
- St George’s Hospital has one of the biggest and busiest of the eight heart attack centres in London. The heart attack centre at St George’s Hospital was rated as having the best response rate for treating heart attack patients in London in the 2012 Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project (MINAP).
- The trust is an accredited centre of excellence for trauma, neurology, cardiology and cancer services, and the national centre for family HIV care and bone marrow transplantation for non-cancer diseases.