History

The hospitals and health centres that make up St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust have a rich history dating back to the opening of the original St George’s Hospital on Hyde Park Corner in 1733.

You can read more about the history behind the trust’s hospitals, health centres and wards in our past and present section.

A brief history

1733 The original St George’s Hospital opens at Lanesborough House, now the Lanesborough Hotel, on Hyde Park Corner
1868 St George’s Hospital Medical School established at the hospital
1869 The Atkinson Morley Hospital opens in Wimbledon
1948 The National Health Service is established
1954 The Grove Fever Hospital and Fountain Hospital in Tooting become part of the St George’s Group
1973 Building of the new St George’s Hospital in Tooting begins on the Grove Fever Hospital site
1976 St George’s Hospital Medical School moves to the new Tooting site and hospital services begin to transfer from Hyde Park Corner
1980 St George’s at Hyde Park Corner formally closes in June, with Her Majesty the Queen officially opening the Tooting site in November
1984 Jenner Wing opens
1988 St James Wing opens following closure of the St James Hospital in Balham
1993 St George’s Group becomes St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust
2003 Atkinson Morley Hospital in Wimbledon closes, with services moving into the new Atkinson Morley Wing at St George’s Hospital
2009 St George’s Healthcare named as large trust of the year by Dr Foster, and the Grosvenor Wing refurbishment is completed
2010 St George’s Healthcare becomes one of four major trauma centres and one of eight hyper-acute stroke units for London. The trust merges with Community Services Wandsworth, becoming responsible for services based at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Roehampton, and health centres, GP practices, schools and nurseries in Wandsworth, and healthcare for offenders at HMP Wandsworth.
2012 The Wolfson Neurorehabilitation Centre in Wimbledon closes, with services moving to St George’s Hospital and Queen Mary’s Hospital
2013 Redeveloped emergency department opens at St George’s Hospital, and work starts on new helipad above St James Wing
^