Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Serving a diverse population of 1.3 million and with nearly 9000 employees, St George’s University Hospitals Trust is the largest healthcare provider in South West London. It is crucial that the diversity of our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
St George’s is committed to building a workforce in which each employee can enjoy a strong sense of belonging and where diversity, difference and uniqueness are truly valued. As well as being well-represented across all levels, we must ensure that people from marginalised groups, are actively and always included, and that this inclusion is felt authentically at a personal level.
Working towards a truly inclusive culture at St George’s not only improves the experience our of workforce but also offers significant benefits to our patients. A number of these benefits are noted below:
- Staff who feel included, engaged and supported have greater personal resources and resilience to offer thorough and compassionate care
- Staff who are differently-abled may offer enhanced empathy and support to patients due to their lived-experiences
- Stronger team performance by maximising our blend of skills, talents, knowledge and professional experience
- Improved staff retention
- A reduction in bullying, harassment, discrimination and other forms of exclusion by building greater understanding, appreciation and respect
- Supports our organisational journey towards adopting a more compassionate and inclusive culture