Specialist spasticity management service
On this page:
The Specialist Spasticity Management Service (SSMS) is a specialist service offering a comprehensive team approach for the management of spasticity.
The service is available for all clients resident in Wandsworth borough and to any other client whose PCT has a service level agreement with CSW for this service.
The objectives of the service are to provide the client, carer and referrer with a comprehensive assessment, advice and management of spasticity to minimise the long term effects and maximise the quality of life for the client.
What we offer
The SSMS provides a comprehensive integrated service that offers access to the following:
- Botulinum toxin clinic
- Functional electrical stimulation clinic (FES)
- Gait and movement analysis laboratory
- Orthotic assessment and provision
- Upper limb splinting
- Specialist seating service
- Douglas Bader Gym
- Intensive rehabilitation as an inpatient, if required
The Spasticity Service is based at Queen Mary’s hospital in the Vitali Clinic. The key contact is Caroline Thomas, Clinical Nurse Specialist on 020 8487 6030
- Dr Sellaiah Sooriakumaran - Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine & Clinical Director
- Claire Ward - Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist
- Caroline Thomas - Clinical Nurse Specialist
Referrals are accepted from GP’s, Consultants or health professionals and are sent to the Consultant in Rehabilitation. Referrals are made on SSMS referral form or by a letter from GP or Consultant