Professor Ian Loftus
Based at St George’s Hospital and National AAA Screening Programme
Secretary: Monika Pawilcz
Secretary email: email@example.com
Secretary telephone: 020 8725 3214/020 8725 3205
Professor Loftus is a consultant vascular surgeon at St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. His specialist interests are in endovascular surgery including complex aortic repair, popliteal entrapment, thoracic outlet syndrome, carotid surgery and varicose veins.
Professor Loftus qualified in 1992, and was Lecturer in Surgery at Leicester University until 2004.
He was appointed as consultant vascular surgeon at St George's in 2004 to help develop the endovascular programme and in 2013 awarded honorary professorship in vascular surgery.
Professor Loftus is running a clinical research programme, including a number of clinical trials, and is clinical director of the Regional Aortic Aneurysm Screening Programme. He is the Past President of both major national vascular societies, namely the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland (VSGBI), and the British Society of Endovascular Therapy. He sits on the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the national Clinical Reference Group for Vascular Surgery, as Deputy Chair, is Chair of Professional Standards for the VSGBI and Chair of the National Vascular Registry Project Board. Past roles and achievements include
- Chair of National Vascular Audit and Quality Improvement Committee of the Vascular Society of Great Britain.
- Council of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and British Society of Endovascular Therapy.
- National Lead for Revalidation in Vascular Surgery.
- Critical Care Tutor and Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Over 300 publications and book chapters.
- Editor of a number of textbooks on vascular and endovascular surgery.