Dr Amarnath Bhide
Telephone: 020 8725 0009
Secretary: Michael O'Dath
Secretary email: Michael.ODath@stgeorges.nhs.uk
Secretary telephone: 020 8725 0071
Dr Bhide is a consultant obstetrician, specialising in fetal medicine. His clinical interests include invasive and non-invasive prenatal diagnosis and therapy, prolonged pregnancy, pre-eclampsia and placenta previa.
He also has a clinical interest in high risk pregnancy and medical problems experienced during pregnancy.
Amar Bhide is currently Consultant in Obstetrics and fetal Medicine at the St. George’s Hospital in London, United Kingdom. He is a lead clinician for the Day Assessment Unit and honorary Senior Lecturer at St. George’s University of London. He is the co-director of the MFM sub-speciality program. He is a scientific editor of BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and member of the editorial board for three other journals.
He received basic training in Obstetrics and Gynecology from Mumbai, India, and subspeciality training in the UK. He Obtained a PhD from a Norwegian university.
His research interests are in placental physiology and pathology, hypoxaemia and fetal cardiac function. His clinical interests are in invasive prenatal diagnosis and therapy, multiple pregnancy and problems with fetal growth. He has published over 120 peer-reviewed articles and 17 book chapters. He has co-authored four books. He holds research collaborations with Karolinska University (Sweden), University of Oulu (Finland) and University of Tromso (Norway). He receives grant funding from UK National Institute of Health Research (NIHR).
Publications (last two years)
- Jauniaux E, Bhide A. Prenatal ultrasound diagnosis and outcome of placenta previa accreta after cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jul;217(1):27-36.
- Bhide A, Sebire N, Abuhamad A, Acharya G, Silver R. (Editorial) Morbidly adherent placenta: the need for standardization. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017 May;49(5):559-563.
- Bhide A, Acharya G. The unmeasured cost of preterm labor screening programs (Editorial). Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017 Apr;96(4):393-394.
- Scala C, Familiari A, Pinas A, Papageorghiou AT, Bhide A, Thilaganathan B, Khalil A. Perinatal and long-term outcomes in fetuses diagnosed with isolated unilateral ventriculomegaly: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Apr;49(4):450-459
- D'Antonio F, Familiari A, Thilaganathan B, Papageorghiou AT, Manzoli L, Khalil A, Bhide A, Leslie K, Chandraharan E, Hayes K. Morbid adherence of the placenta: lack of specificity should remind us that ultrasound is a screening tool. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Mar 13.