BREAST SCREENING ADVICE GOES ON THE WEB
The South West London Breast Screening Service is launching a web site to help inform local women about breast screening services.
The web site – www.swlbreastscreening.co.uk – has been designed to allow women to get further information about breast screening from the comfort of their own home.
It includes information on:
- having a mammogram,
- the locality of its six screening sites,
- travel advice,
- who is eligible to have a mammogram under the national programme,
- how to make or alter an appointment,
- general breast awareness information and answers to frequently asked questions.
It is illustrated throughout with photographs of women’s experiences and there are links to further sources of information.
Dr Louse Wilkinson, Director of the SW London Breast Screening Service, said: “We are delighted to be launching this new website for local women. It meets a need for up-to-date, more accessible information for women using the service, or wishing to use the service. This website will allow them to understand more about breast screening and enable them to contact the service more easily”.
Notes to editors
- The SW London Breast Screening Service invites over 150,000 women a year to have a mammogram as part of the national screening programme.
- The service is based at the Duchess of Kent Unit at St George’s Hospital, Tooting and has satellite units at:
- Allders in Croydon
- Hawks Road Clinic, Kingston
- Parkway Health Centre, New Addington
- Sutton Hospital, Sutton
- Teddington Memorial Hospital
- The national screening programme, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year is estimated to save over 1,400 liver per annum.
- For more information, please contact the Communications Unit on 020 8725 5151 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Outside working hours, please page us by calling 07699 119700, leaving a short message and contact details for pager SG548.