Dr Kavita Prasad
Secretary: Sally Ann Dumanowska
Secretary email: SallyAnn.Dumanowska@stgeorges.nhs.uk
Secretary telephone: 020 8725 3829
Dr Prasad is an expert in Integrative Medicine and holds a joint appointment as Honorary Senior Lecturer with St George’s, University of London. She offers a holistic, evidence based approach to Integrative Medicine, focusing on combining mind body therapies with conventional medical care. In addition, she provides consultation on other commonly used alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, in the context of conventional medical therapies.
Dr Prasad has completed an Internal Medicine residency and an Integrative Medicine fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in the United States. She offers the Stress Management and Resilience Training (SMART) Program developed at Mayo Clinic. The program combines elements of cognitive neuroscience and an understanding of brain-mind interactions to improve attention, memory, decision making, creativity and promote happiness. A particular focus of the program is to enhance interpersonal skills and wellbeing by incorporating human values into healthcare.
Dr Prasad is a member of a UK working group which aims to create a more compassionate NHS. She is committed to furthering the integration of mind-body skills into conventional healthcare. She is on the editorial board of Advances in Integrative Medicine.
Dr Prasad is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of London and an Integrative Medicine Physician at St. George’s Healthcare Trust since 2014.
She qualified from the University of London, Imperial College, in 1994 and completed an Intercalated BSc in Clinical Nutrition from King’s College London. She then went on to study at the National Institutes of Health, and was awarded the Research Excellence Award. She then moved to the prestigious Mayo Clinic, USA, completing training in General Internal Medicine in 2001, and a fellowship in Complementary and Integrative Medicine in 2008.
Since 2010, Dr Prasad has worked as a senior associate consultant at Mayo Clinic in the Division of General Internal Medicine, and is an adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. She has recently moved to the UK where she hopes to develop a program of Integrative Medicine.
2001: Mayo Clinic Teaching Award
2013: Fellowship of the American College of Physicians (FACP)
1. Treat L, Liesinger J, Ziegenfuss JY, Humeniuk K, Prasad K, Tilburt JC. Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine use in children with common neurological conditions. Glob Adv Health Med. 2014 Jan;3(1):18-24. doi: 10.7453/gahmj.2013.001.
2. Prasad K, Ziegenfuss JY, Cha SS, Sood A, Tilburt JC. Characteristics of exclusive users of mind-body medicine vs. other alternative medicine approaches in the United States. Explore (NY). 2013 Jul-Aug;9(4):219-25. doi: 10.1016/j.explore.2013.04.001.
3. Prasad K, Sharma V, Lackore K, Jenkins SM, Prasad A, Sood A. Use of complementary therapies in cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol. 2013 Feb 1;111(3):339-45. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2012.10.010. Epub 2012 Nov 24.
4. Prasad K, Wahner-Roedler D, Cha S, Sood A. Patients' preferences about participation in clinical trials studying complementary and alternative medicine. Altern Ther Health Med. 2011 Nov-Dec;17(6):36-42.
5. Prasad K, Wahner-Roedler DL, Cha SS, Sood A. Effect of a single-session meditation training to reduce stress and improve quality of life among health care professionals: a "dose-ranging" feasibility study. Altern Ther Health Med. 2011 May-Jun;17(3):46-9.
6. Loprinzi CE, Prasad K, Schroeder DR, Sood A. Stress Management and Resilience Training (SMART) program to decrease stress and enhance resilience among breast cancer survivors: a pilot randomized clinical trial. Clin Breast Cancer. 2011 Dec;11(6):364-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clbc.2011.06.008. Epub 2011 Aug 10.
7. Sood A, Prasad K, Schroeder D, Varkey P. Stress management and resilience training among Department of Medicine faculty: a pilot randomized clinical trial.
J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Aug;26(8):858-61. doi: 10.1007/s11606-011-1640-x. Epub 2011 Jan 29.
8. Prasad K, Reriani MK, Murad MH, Sood A, Prasad A. Impact of mind body therapies on vascular endothelial dysfunction and implications for cardiovascular disease management.
J Complement Integr Med. 2011 Jan;8. doi: 10.2202/1553-3840.1457. Review.