A mum has praised medics at St George’s after her son survived a rare condition during pregnancy.

Jessica Bruce was told she could lose her unborn babies from twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) without treatment.

The mum was referred to St George’s for specialist care and travelled 200 miles from her home in Hull where TTTS was confirmed.

Jessica was 16 weeks pregnant when she was given the heartbreaking news and told without treatment she faced losing both babies.

Jessica Bruce was told she could lose her unborn babies from twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome

Jessica, 32, said: “I am forever grateful to St George’s, without them I would have been left with nothing.”

TTTS affects around 10-15% of identical twins and occurs when there is an uneven flow of blood in the vessels connecting them. This means that one twin doesn’t receive enough blood and nutrients to grow and becomes anaemic, and the other twin gets too much blood, which causes heart and circulation problems.

“My twins were killing each other,” Jessica said.

“I was told there was a 5% chance for Isaac to survive and a 75% chance for Cody. They gave me a percentage of 25% that I’d lose the entire pregnancy.

A scan of Jessica’s twins

“When we were told the news the world was spinning and it felt like everything had been ripped away from us.

“It was a real rollercoaster for us because we faced losing the entire pregnancy – so both of our sons.

“It was all so overwhelming but I felt well looked after and cared for by the whole team at St George’s.”

Jessica underwent laser ablation surgery treatment at St George’s a week after her diagnosis.

During the procedure, a small instrument (fetoscope) is inserted through an incision in the mother’s abdominal wall and uterus. A laser fibre is then inserted into the fetoscope to seal off blood vessels in the shared placenta, so that both babies receive a more equal supply of blood.

After the surgery, excess amniotic fluid is also removed. If left untreated, Jessica was told both twins wouldn’t survive.

Jessica got to 37 weeks before Cody came into the world

Jessica returned home where she was looked after for the rest of her pregnancy at Hull Royal Infirmary.

At her next routine scan Jessica was given the news that Cody survived and Issac had sadly died.

Jessica was put on bed rest and had to have regular scans because her pregnancy was so high-risk, forcing her to take sick leave.

She said: “Cody had to have an MRI while he was still in the womb to make sure his brain and heart were still developing.”

Jessica got to 37 weeks before Cody came into the world via emergency C-section at Hull Royal Infirmary on February 3 this year.

Jessica has praised medics at St George’s

She said: “We have a baby who means the world to us and without the caring team at St George’s that wouldn’t have been possible.

“The team were so caring and even when we returned to Hull they would call us regularly to see how we were doing.

“I can’t fault the treatment and care given to us at St George’s.

“People slate the NHS but without that care I would have been left with no babies.”

St George’s offers a bereavement service for anyone who has suffered a sad loss at our hospital.

For more information visit Bereavement Services – St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (stgeorges.nhs.uk)