Any Qualified Provider
On this page:
What is the Any Qualified Provider scheme?
The Any Qualified Provider (AQP) scheme means that for some conditions like neck and back pain, patients are now able to choose from a range of providers to deliver healthcare. All providers meet NHS standards.
Any Qualified Provider is about empowering patients.
What does AQP mean for my neck or back care?
All providers whether based in a hospital, GP practice or on the high street, are required to provide neck and back treatment in line with set criteria that has been stipulated by the local government health body.
One requirement is that all providers must encourage patients to be more involved in their own care and empower them to take further responsibility for wellness. You will therefore be provided with information at the start of treatment and throughout your whole package of care on how to self-care, in accordance with best practice.
Under the AQP care pathway it is anticipated that you will receive on average a total of 4 physiotherapy sessions. This will include the initial assessment followed by three treatment sessions.
What neck and back services are available at Queen Mary’s?
Queen Mary’s Physiotherapy provides a comprehensive, patient-centred, easy access back and neck service in the community in Roehampton, Putney and the surrounding areas. We offer a wide range of physiotherapy services to help with neck and/ or back pain.
Neck and back treatments may include:
- Joint mobilisations and manipulation
- Soft tissue mobilisation
- Exercise programmes tailored to the individual’s condition to improve power, endurance and fitness
- Muscle imbalance correction
- Core Conditioning exercises based on Pilates concept
- Stability ball wall
- Preventative advice
- Postural re-education
- Ergonomic assessment for work place, home or sport
- Appropriate stretching
We offer an integrated approach to your health and well being to ensure you receive the very best healthcare. As part of your rehabilitation for your neck and/ or back pain we may offer a referral to another NHS service. For example:
- Temporary gym membership to the state of the art Douglas Bader Gym at Queen Mary’s Hospital to increase your general fitness during the course of your treatment
- Podiatry services for those with back complaints who may require a Biomechanical Foot Assessments or with other foot care needs for conditions like diabetes
- Dietetic services for advice on healthy eating or weight management
What happens if I cannot have treatment under the new ‘AQP’ scheme?
The AQP scheme aims to see patients with back and/ or neck pain with or without symptoms ‘referred’ to the limbs and include:
- Whiplash associated disorders
- Stiffness and restricted movement
- Headaches, arising from the neck
- Postural related neck and back pain
- Non-specific neck and back pain
- Simple neck or backache
- Arthritis pain
- Neck or Back strain/ sprain
- Spasm of neck or back
- Muscular neck or back pain
If on your initial assessment your neck and/ or back pain condition does not fit the criteria set by the AQP scheme, don’t worry, we will arrange it with your GP that you can still access our services and receive the treatment you require outside this scheme.
Referers can find more information on how to refer to the outpatient physiotherapy service on our Queen Mary’s Hospital referrals page
Enter your postcode into the box above for directions
No routes found The location entered couldn't be found, please check for typo or try a broader search.
Technical error There's been a problem with the Google Map. Please email the communications team and let them know.