Yesterday St George’s was the location for an emotional reunion between jogger Rosie and the police, and medical staff who saved her life.

Rosie Mowbray, 24, was running along Durnsford Road, Merton on the morning of Tuesday, 11 November 2014 when she was hit by a car as she attempted to cross the road.

The impact of the collision broke Rosie’s right leg, displaced her ankle, fractured both her shoulder blade and pelvis, and caused multiple head injuries. She needed medical treatment urgently.

PCs Jonny Greenfield and James Hutchinson, response team officers based at Merton were first on the scene. They found Rosie lying in the middle of the road with drivers callously navigating their vehicles around her body to continue their journeys.

Greenfield and Hutchinson worked together to secure the scene and protect Rosie. They placed their response vehicle against the oncoming traffic and called upon a lorry driver to block the junction so emergency staff could treat Rosie safely.

Paramedic Roland Spencer assessed Rosie whilst the police officers helped him maintain Rosie’s airway. He knew that Rosie needed specialist treatment urgently so he called for an air ambulance to take her to St George’s Hospital.

After receiving emergency treating in our A&E department, Rosie was taken to intensive care where she remained in a medically-induced coma for many weeks. Unable to communicate, Rosie was still visited by her family and friends every day.

To everyone’s relief Rosie recovered and is now undergoing rehabilitation so that she can walk again.


Dr Colette Griffin, clinical lead for traumatic brain injury at St George’s Hospital, said: “We are all delighted to see the incredible improvement that Rosie has made. Her injuries were very severe indeed, and at every stage in her recovery she has impressed us with the speed of her recovery.

“Her family have been incredibly supportive and have been with her every step of what must have been a terrible journey for them. I am pleased to say that the recovery that is possible with traumatic brain injury patients never ceases to amaze me.”

PC James Hutchinson said: “Being the operator of the first car arriving on scene, I quickly realised how serious this incident was and that our actions could make a real difference and I’m glad that they did.

“I am very pleased that Rosie is progressing well and I know that all officers who attended in any way shape or form have taken a real interest in how she is doing. It was an honour to meet such a strong and resilient young lady who has shown strength and courage to pull through from such a horrendous incident.”

PC Jonny Greenfield said: “After a long night duty this was a very traumatic event to end a shift on but I am pleased that I was able to assist the LAS and air ambulance crew that day in order to help save Rosie’s life; giving her every possible chance to make a full recovery.

“I have followed Rosie’s progress and this is one of those moments in my police career that makes me proud to be a police officer, knowing that the training the Met has given me has enabled me to help Rosie.”

Rosie’s father, Adrian Mowbray said: “We, as a family would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all who attended and helped that day.

“We would also like to pass on our thanks to the staff at St George’s Hospital who have also been outstanding in their care and dedication. We cannot thank them all enough.”

The driver of the vehicle, a 51-year-old man stopped at the scene attended a South West London Police Station where he was interviewed under caution. Enquiries are ongoing.