HIV testing week – Get checked out!
HIV testing at the Courtyard Clinic for National HIV Testing Week
The Courtyard Clinic at St George’s Hospital is offering HIV testing throughout the week as part of National HIV Testing Week (November 22-29). Drop-in sessions are available between 8am-7pm. No prior appointment is necessary.
HIV tests are also available at the Junction Health Centre, Clapham Junction, at the same times. Test results are available within a few minutes and a counsellor is available if needed.
Undiagnosed HIV infection remains a problem in the UK. Those particularly at risk are gay and bisexual men and people from areas of high prevalence.
The goal of National HIV Week is to:
To increase testing among the most at-risk populations across England
- Increase awareness and acceptability of HIV testing among these groups
- Increase access to HIV testing in both community and statutory settings in order to improve early diagnosis and treatment of HIV (and thus reduce on-going transmission) among those most at risk.
For more information, ring Wendy Majewska on 0208 725 3342.
Notes to editors
For more information, please contact the Communications Unit on 020 8725 5151 or email email@example.com. Outside working hours, please page us by calling 0844 822 2888, leaving a short message and contact details for pager SG548.
About St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust
- St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest healthcare providers in the UK. Its main site, St George’s Hospital in Tooting – one of the country’s principal teaching hospitals – is shared with St George’s, University of London, which trains medical students and carries out advanced medical research. As well as acute hospital services, the trust provides a wide variety of specialist and community hospital based care and a full range of community services to children, adults, older people and people with learning disabilities. These services are provided from Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton, 11 health centres and clinics, schools and nurseries, patients’ homes and Wandsworth Prison.
- St George’s Hospital, Tooting, is home to one of four major trauma centres, one of eight hyper acute stroke units and one of the biggest and busiest of the seven heart attack centres in the capital.
- The trust is an accredited centre of excellence for trauma, neurology, cardiology, cancer and blood pressure services and is the national centre for family HIV care and bone marrow transplantation for non-cancer diseases.
- In 2012 the trust was named by the Dr Foster report for the Department of Health in the group of trusts with the lowest mortality rates in the country. The trust was one of only 16 in the country to have statistically significant lower than expected mortality rates.