On this page:
The SW Thames Regional Genetics Laboratory is part of the SW Thames Regional Genetics Service and provides postnatal and prenatal diagnostic, predictive and carrier testing for a range of genetic conditions by analysis of chromosomes and DNA. The laboratory is committed to providing a diagnostic service of the highest quality and is aware of, and takes into consideration, the needs and requirements of the users. The Laboratory aims to obtain the correct result using appropriate tests on the correct patient in an acceptable timeframe using the most relevant available technology. Clinical Pathology Accreditation (CPA) is the minimum foundation upon which the standards of work are based.
Our service will be delivered with a commitment to the St. George’s Healthcare NHS Trust mission “To improve the health of our patients and our local community by achieving excellence in clinical care, research, education and employment” and adhering to the Trust values:
Excellent Kind Responsible Respectful
In order to meet the needs and requirements of the users the Laboratory will:
- Consult with users on a regular basis to ensure their needs and requirements are met
- Set quality objectives and plan to implement and maintain this quality policy
- Ensure that all personnel are familiar with the quality policy to ensure user’s satisfaction
- Operate a quality management system that integrates the processes required for the conduct of its examinations, documents its procedures and keeps records that provide evidence of the proper conduct of its activities
- Commit to providing accommodation and environment required for the provision of the service and for the health, safety and welfare of its staff
- Ensure that visitors to the Laboratory will be treated with respect and that due consideration will be given to their safety whilst on site
- Comply with local and national environmental legislation and guidelines
- Uphold professional values and be committed to good professional practice and conduct
The SW Thames Regional Genetics Laboratory will comply with standards set by UKAS and ISO15189:2012 and is committed to:
- Recruitment, training, development and retention of staff at all levels in a manner that ensures that they are competent to be fully involved in its work.
- Procurement management and maintenance of facilities, equipment and other resources as are needed for the provision of the service and ensure the quality of its examination results.
- Collection, transport and handling of all specimens in such a way as to ensure the correct performance of all laboratory examinations
- Use of analytical procedures that will ensure the highest achievable quality of all examinations performed.
- Reporting results of examinations in a manner which ensures their timeliness, accuracy, and clinical usefulness and maintains confidentiality.
- Evaluation and continual improvement of the service it provides to its users.