On this page:
The Cancer Genetics team at the Southwest Thames Centre for Genomics serves a population of approximately three and a half million people across South West London, Surrey and West Sussex. The aim of the service is to identify people at increased risk of developing cancer because of underlying genetic factors. If we find that a person has an increased chance of getting cancer due to genetic factors we can any screening options to pick up cancers early at a treatable stage and other treatments to reduce the risk of cancer.
Who we see
We see people who already have a cancer diagnosis to try to identify if the cancer may have been due to an underlying genetic cause. Identifying a genetic cause for a cancer may give an explanation for a cancer diagnosis and guide cancer treatment. It may also allow us to advise people with cancer, and their relatives, on their future cancer risk and offer a personalised plan to reduce this risk.
We also assess people who are concerned about their cancer risk because of their family history. In many cases we will not need to offer telephone, video or face to face appointments but we will write with our screening recommendations and other advice to reduce the chance of developing cancer.
Information for healthcare professionals
If you are a healthcare professional who wishes to make a referral to our service or request a genetic test for inherited cancer risk please read our guidelines for healthcare professionals.
Information for patients
If you are a patient who has been referred to us or is thinking of requesting a referral to our service, please read our information for patients .
We can offer telephone and video appointments for patients who would prefer these, or those who do not need a physical examination.
We hold regular face to face clinics at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, and also offer face to face appointments in other hospitals across our region:
- Queen Mary Hospital, Roehampton
- Nelson centre
- East Surrey Hospital
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
- Epsom Hospital
- Crawley Hospital
- Worthing Hospital
- Frimley Park Hospital
- St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey
We also run the following specialised clinics:
- Endocrine genetics cancer clinic – in association with endocrinologists at St George’s Hospital
- Von Hippel Lindau screening clinic – in association with endocrinologists and ophthalmologists at St George’s Hospital
- Cancer genetics carrier clinics – for individuals who carry a high risk cancer gene variants at St George’s Hospital and Royal Surrey County Hospital (BRCA carrier clinic)
- Paediatric cancer clinic – at the Royal Marsden Hospital
- Haematology cancer clinic – at Kings College Hospital