This 60-minute team simulation exercise recreates conditions on medical wards at St George’s during the Covid19 pandemic (Amber or Blue Wards). It is suitable for all clinical staff that may be deployed to medical wards during the second surge of new cases over the autumn and winter months. The exercise will be conducted in small multidisciplinary teams with a maximum of 7 participants). Participants will be involved in a Board Round handover, a multi-patient clinical team simulation and a facilitated team debriefing.
At the end of the session participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate when basic or more specialized PPE is required in different circumstances
- Learn the role of the Trust’s decision-making protocol leading to Treatment Escalation Plans
- Apply key infection control measures in delivering patient care and in the use of medical devices (including AGPs)
- Adapt to different demands on team dynamics when managing COVID19+ patients in unfamiliar areas
- Demonstrate updated Resuscitation Council guidelines for Covid19 +/? patients
Participants should consult and be up to date with the following hospital guidelines on the Trust Internet before attending the session.
Personal Protective Equipment
– Eye goggles decontamination: http://stg1wordpress01/trustnews/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Decontamination-of-Re-Usable-Eye-Protection-Final.pdf
– Non aerosol generating procedures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GrYxSVheF4&feature=youtu.be
– Aerosol generating procedures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GD0kv6eDk&feature=youtu.be
Clinical Support Tools
Resuscitation Guidelines for Cov19