Ambulatory Oncology Care Unit (AOCU)
Ambulatory Oncology Care Unit
- Open 09:00 – 17:00 Mon-Fri (except BH). Referrals accepted until 15:00.
- Nurse led team, with oncology registrar and consultant support
- Located on Gordon Smith, 3rd floor Lanesborough Wing
- Access via nurse led telephone triage.
Unplanned/same day review:
- Well enough to attend AOCU on foot (i.e. mobile)
- Suffering mild complications such as sore mouth, lethargy
- Minor-moderate nausea and/or vomiting
- Treatment related rash
- Constipation/change in bowel habit but no diarrhoea
- Indwelling line problems.
- Suspected DVTs (but no breathlessness).
- Worsening of pre-existing breathlessness but non acute onset
- Patients who called the oncology hotline overnight and were considered stable enough to be reviewed the following day,
- Pre/post contrast CT scan IV hydration, planned liver biopsy or pleurex drain requiring monitoring,
- Patients recently discharged from hospital, requiring a follow-up review as OP (no capacity in Oncology clinic)
- Symptoms of chest pain, severe breathlessness, bleeding, severe nausea/vomiting, diarrhoea, low white cell count, suspected neutropenic sepsis (all would be referred to ED).
AOCU contact details
For referrals to AOCU by hospital staff, please contact the team as follows:
- Monday – Friday, 09:00-17:00: bleep 8235 or call x2498
- Outside of office hours: email AOCU@stgeorges.nhs.uk – a member of the AOCU team will respond when back in the office.